By Travis C. Pratt
In Addicted to Incarceration, writer Travis Pratt makes use of an evidence-based method of discover the implications of what he phrases America's "addiction to incarceration," highlighting the scope of the matter, the character of the political discussions surrounding felony justice coverage generally and corrections coverage particularly, and the social expense of incarceration.
Pratt demonstrates that the us' dependancy to incarceration has been fueled through americans' reviews approximately crime and punishment, the effectiveness of incarceration as a method of social keep watch over, and maybe most vital, via guidelines legitimized by way of defective details (e.g.,fear of crime is objectively associated with victimization, petty offenders mature into violent predators, and protracted offending could be appropriately expected over the existence course). reading crime guidelines as they relate to crime charges and U.S. society's skill to either decrease the crime price and handle the function of incarceration in combating destiny crime, the ebook exhibits scholars how useless our rush to incarcerate has been within the final decade, in addition to providing innovations and insights into the way forward for this challenge.
- Real global examples that positioned a human face at the concerns open every one bankruptcy
Race, ethnicity, and gender matters underlie all discussions and handle key elements of incarceration charges and crime tendencies
- The social expenditures of incarceration are explored, together with the heightened inmate possibility of private victimization, incarceration's influence as a barrier to profitable criminal reintegration into society, and its function in exacerbating current racial inequalities
- The ultimate bankruptcy comprises conclusions and suggestions for destiny coverage makers
Written in an off-the-cuff and available kind, Addicted to Incarceration is applicable for felony justice coverage or corrections classes on the undergraduate point and will even be used as a supplementary textual content in introductory legal justice, criminology, and significant matters in legal justice courses.
Read or Download Addicted to Incarceration: Corrections Policy and the Politics of Misinformation in the United States PDF
Best criminal law books
In a set of compelling contributions to the research of the nexus among race, crime, and justice, famous students within the box critique many long-held assumptions and myths approximately race, demanding felony justice policymakers to enhance new and powerful innovations for facing the social difficulties such misunderstandings create.
Das Recht des Strafvollzugs und der Untersuchungshaft bildet den Schwerpunkt dieses didaktisch ausgefeilten Lernbuches. Konkrete Fragestellungen und zahlreiche Fälle mit Lösungshinweisen verdeutlichen die Probleme der Praxis. Die Techniken des Vermerks (Gutachten), der Verfügung, des Berichts, der Stellungnahme und des Bescheids sind besonders hilfreich für die praxisorientierte Ausbildung.
This ebook explores adjustments in defense governance in Europe from the Nineteen Nineties, concentrating on one of the most very important results: the proliferation of missed insecurities, together with the rise of oncological illnesses, environmental mess ups, shadow economies reproducing neo-slavery and financial fraud, and the overall harm to the res publica.
Compliment FOR THE BOOK"…essential analyzing for an individual drawn to the lifestyles and workout of european powers within the box of legal legislations. Öberg's serious exam of the constitutional constraints to ecu motion additionally increases many questions which are of serious curiosity in different parts of ecu competence. The ebook merits a large readership between students drawn to the constitutional workings of the ecu Union.
- When Police Kill
- Romantic Outlaws, Beloved Prisons: The Unconscious Meanings of Crime and Punishment
- Trends in Corrections: Interviews with Corrections Leaders Around the World, Volume One (Interviews with Global Leaders in Policing, Courts, and Prisons)
- The Anatomy of Prison Life: Behind the Walls of the Illinois Department of Corrections
- Cold Case Homicides: Practical Investigative Techniques, Second Edition (Practical Aspects of Criminal and Forensic Investigations)
- The Decline of the Death Penalty and the Discovery of Innocence
Extra info for Addicted to Incarceration: Corrections Policy and the Politics of Misinformation in the United States
Addicted to Incarceration: Corrections Policy and the Politics of Misinformation in the United States by Travis C. Pratt